The Dangers of Underestimating Nature: Examining Human Capability and Ancient Discoveries in the Amazon
- Humans have the capability to create new species through genetic engineering
- Ancient civilizations have been discovered in the Amazon, but it is unlikely that they were responsible for ‘engineering’ the entire ecosystem
- There is a danger of dismissing the need to protect natural ecosystems if we think humans are capable of recreating them artificially
- It would take a few hundred years for all signs of human civilization to disappear if humans suddenly died off.
Exploring the Amazon: Potential for Exponential Discoveries, But Deforestation and Respect Needed
- Exploring the Amazon has the potential for exponential discoveries
- Deforestation of the Amazon needs to be addressed before this exploration can take place
- Lidar and other technologies may aid in these explorations, but ultimately it requires boots on the ground
- When exploring, respect must be taken for both the environment and indigenous cultures.