Tragedy and Triumph Across the Globe: 16 Hostages Released in Gaza, 10-Month-Old Killed in Airstrike, US Military Aircraft Crashes off Japan, Assassination Plot in New York City, Three Killed in Ohio Explosion, and Former President Carter Attends Wifes Funeral.
- Today, 16 hostages were released in Gaza, including one American
- A 10-month-old infant is among the hostages claimed by Hamas to have been killed in Israeli airstrikes
- Two children were shot by Israeli forces during an alleged raid in the West Bank
- A US military aircraft crashed off Japan, with at least one fatality
- A man has been charged for an alleged plot to assassinate an activist in New York City with ties to India’s government
- Three people were killed due to a massive explosion at an Ohio Body Shop
- Former President Jimmy Carter attended the funeral for his wife Rosalind
- And NBC provided coverage of this year’s lighting of the Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree.
US Airmen Lost in Plane Crash off Japans Coast, Kissinger Passes Away at 100, Gas Prices Drop Across Country
- Eight US Airmen were on board a US Air Force Osprey aircraft which crashed into the waters off Japan’s southern coast
- Search and rescue efforts are underway with remains of one airman found so far
- The Osprey is both a helicopter and an airplane with a troubled history marked by multiple crashes in the past few years
- Prosecutors have linked a foreign government official to a plot to assassinate a US citizen in New York City
- Overwhelmed border crossings in Texas and Arizona have led to dramatic water rescues, with hundreds sleeping in parking lots
- Henry Kissinger, former Secretary of State under Presidents Nixon and Ford, has died at the age of 100
- Gas prices across the country have dropped significantly, offering some relief from inflation.
Rising Oil Production Propels US as Top Producer, UAW to Unionize Non-Union Automakers, New Safety Rules for Infant Loungers After Tragedy, Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree Lit Tonight
- The US retains the crown of the world’s largest oil producer
- Oil production is back at record setting levels, with prices at $77 a barrel and gas selling for $3 or less in some states
- Electric vehicle sales have slowed as customers move back to ICEs or hybrids due to lower gas prices
- UAW has announced plans to unionize non-union automakers
- After NBC News reporting, the CPSC has proposed new standards that could make infant loungers safer, which are linked to 79 infant deaths since 2010
- Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree is cut from Upstate New York and is expected to be lit tonight.