The Debate Over Guns: More or Less?
- The Second Amendment states that the right to bear arms shall not be infringed
- Republicans have been arguing that more guns make us safer, however, this is proven false by statistics as the US has more guns than any other country and also has more mass shootings
- John and Jon Stewart both agree that increasing guns does not increase safety
- The argument for increased gun control is to protect citizens from gun-related deaths, especially amongst children which are higher than cancer and car accidents combined
- Gun control does not prevent free speech as it can still be exercised without infringing on the rights of others.
Oklahoma Senator Sparks Controversy as Supreme Court Justices Speak Out on Gun Control
- Republican senator from Oklahoma argues that it is not the guns, but the people who are to blame for gun violence
- 92 percent of Americans favor expanded background checks for all gun sales, however congressional Republicans have blocked any legislation surrounding this
- Two Supreme Court Justices, one conservative and one Reagan appointee, have both said that there is no serious legal obstacle to registration
- Republicans instead cite a misinterpretation of the Second Amendment as an obstacle and use platitudes such as “shall not be infringed” instead of taking action.