Western Democracies Back Ukraine With M109 Howitzer Systems
- The M109 Howitzer, first introduced in the early 1960s, has been used by Western democracies to assist Ukraine, with around 50 models sent
- The M109 A6 Paladin is an upgrade of the system and entered service with the US Army in 1999
- It is armed with a 155 mm 39 caliber m284 cannon with a maximum range of 14.9 miles
- It can be fitted with Excalibur GPS-guided artillery ammunition for extended range precision strikes up to 40 kilometers away
- Supported by the M992 Ammunition Supply Vehicle, it has a maximum speed of 39.7 mph and cruising range of 213.7 miles
- Hundreds of these systems are available as near surplus items, making them strong candidates for backing Ukrainian offensives on the battlefield.