Dave Chappelle Talks Ray Rice Tape, Racism, and Marriage at Stand-Up Show
- Dave Chappelle discusses the Ray Rice tape and its implications, explaining that although it was a violent incident, the NFL should not be able to change their ruling based on the tape
- He goes on to discuss how his wife has said terrible things to him in front of dinner guests, but he chooses to take a different approach and instead of fighting back he looks for advice from two women college professors
- Dave Chappelle then talks about someone throwing a banana peel at him and explains how it is not the best way to handle racism
- Lastly, he jokingly talks about trying to get a cigarette from someone in the audience.
Dave Chappelle Reflects on Ethical Questions, Offensiveness, and the Dangers of Blogging
- Dave Chappelle discussed how unusual it is to hear someone call something “delicious”
- He commented on the ethical questions surrounding gynecologists, particularly male gynecologists
- He pointed out that certain words can be considered offensive depending on the age of the listener
- He shared his thoughts on Lil Wayne’s song about violence
- And finally, he reflected on how blogging can be dangerous for celebrities.
Speaker Embraces Self-Expression, Calls for Respect Despite Differences
- The speaker attended a gallery party, where an eccentric man, who was wearing a dress and on drugs, had been surrounded by concerned friends
- The speaker intervened to see if the individual was ok
- The speaker acknowledged their support for anyone’s right to express themselves but questioned whether they had to adjust their pronouns for this person
- The speaker used the metaphor of wanting bank loans when wearing an argyle sweater as an example of people wanting to be respected for expressing themselves differently than society expects.