1 in 4 People Experience AI Voice Cloning Scams: How to Protect Yourself and Your Family
- Voice cloning technology is becoming increasingly advanced and accessible
- The Federal Trade Commission recently warned of an increased risk of family emergency scams using this tech
- A global survey found that 1 in 4 people had experienced or knew someone who had experienced an AI voice cloning scam
- Jennifer DeStefano was able to confirm her daughter’s safety after receiving a fake kidnapping call demanding money
- Wasim Khalid, co-founder of Black Bird AI, advises authenticating the caller by having them confirm information only you two would know, and to have a private safe word for your family
- Congress is looking for ways to regulate AI while it is up to us to take extra steps to verify the identity of anyone who calls or messages us.