Xbox and Nintendo Finding Success in Different Avenues of Video Game Revenue
- Xbox is performing similarly to Nintendo in terms of revenue
- Xbox has been exploring other avenues for income instead of simply selling consoles, such as offering game and service subscriptions, with Game Pass being a successful venture
- PlayStation and Xbox make the majority of their money on game add-ons and microtransactions
- Nintendo makes most of their money from first party titles while making a profit on their hardware
- Nintendo Switch Online is getting more subscribers than Xbox Game Pass.
Xbox Plans Unveiled: Halo Infinite, Forza Horizon 5, and More on the Way
- Xbox is looking at the numbers and considering cutting out the middle man such as selling consoles and just providing services and games directly to people
- Phil Spencer has stated that this acquisition is important for Xbox, but if it does not go through, Xbox will still exist
- Prior to all this news, times were good for Xbox fans with new releases including Halo Infinite and Forza Horizon 5, as well as additional games like Contraband Fable Starfield redfall the Indiana Jones game hellblade 2 a vowed outer Worlds 2 and many more
- Additionally, there was much excitement over the possibility of acquiring Activision Blizzard
- Lastly, Baldur’s Gate 3 got a release date (August 31st 2023), and while there was speculation of PlayStation exclusivity, larion Studios clarified that they have no exclusivity and an Xbox version has been in development.
Xbox Series S Under Pressure to Perform Against Xbox Series X
- Xbox Series S, a cheaper console than its counterpart Xbox Series X, has had trouble running third-party games with split-screen co-op, leading to speculation as to if the console is capable of producing the same standards as its counterpart
- This follows previous reports that Rocksteady’s Gotham Knights struggled to run on the console
- While it has done well in singleplayer games, running Cyberpunk and Hogwarts Legacy, there are doubts that the console will be able to produce the same performance in multiplayer games
- Fans worry that developers will skip over Xbox platforms and believe that Xbox needs something like an Xbox Series S Plus or Digital Version of the X in order to make up for lost ground.