Startup Learns Hard Lesson with Costly Cloud Fiasco
- A startup was days away from launch and deployed code to a serverless platform on the cloud
- The code ran inefficiently, resulting in a bill of $72,000
- The company contacted Google Cloud and was credited for the entire bill
- Budget alerts are important to set up to avoid such an incident
- Infinite loops should be avoided as they can lead to runaway costs
- Configuration should not be set up for large workloads when experimenting.
Maximizing Scalability and Minimizing Expenses with Cloud Computing
- Cloud Run can be configured to maximize or minimize scalability
- Consider the complexity of algorithms when using cloud computing
- When data models are flawed, cloud computing expenses can skyrocket
- Secure applications and set security rules for databases
- Be mindful of exposing secret API keys.