Unlocking the Secrets of Longevity: The Hidden Island of Okinawam
- A team of scientists, dietitians and filmmakers embarked on a journey to the hidden island of Okinawam in an attempt to uncover the secrets of longevity
- They discovered that the locals seemed to have unknowingly preserved ancient ways of living that promote health and wellbeing
- Spending quality time outdoors and working with their hands were two core truths they observed
- The locals also had a strong sense of community as evidenced by their welcoming spirit and connection to nature
- Finally, humor was also a prominent part of the culture, evidenced by their endless supply of jokes and drinks.
The Okinawans Unique Perception of Aging and Ikigai
- The people of Ogimi, Japan, have a strong sense of community
- The Okinawans have a word for it, “Moai”
- Their perception of aging is different than in the West: they embrace it rather than fight it and view ikigai differently as well
- They see it as a combination of life’s aspects rather than a search for one thing
- Their lifestyle includes physical activity, healthy diet, and strong relationships.
The Pursuit to Achieving True Happiness: Learning to Appreciate Life and Self
- The pursuit of happiness may be an unhappy path
- Value what you have and be more intentional about daily life
- Slowing down to appreciate current moments
- Reconnect with forgotten truths
- Nurture community
- Plant seeds in your own mind to think about your own health.