US Sanctions Putins Chef and Wagner Group for Involvement in Ukraine War
- The Wagner Group, a private mercenary militant force under Russian control, was designated as a Transnational Criminal Organization with the US imposing sanctions in January
- It has close ties to Vladimir Putin and played a role in Russia’s invasion of Eastern Ukraine and Crimea
- Its founder, Yevgeny Prigozhin, has been nicknamed “Putin’s Chef” and is now leading a coup against the Kremlin
- The group has been linked to human rights abuses and is commanding roughly 50,000 troops playing a vital role in Russia’s war effort in Ukraine
- It consists of trained mercenaries as well as nearly recruited Russian convicts.
Russian Oligarchs Conflict With Military Leads to Possibility of Rebellion
- Russian oligarch Yevgeniy Prigozhin and his mercenary group Wagner have been in conflict with the Russian military, potentially leading to a rebellion
- This could be due to lack of support from Moscow, competition for resources, and other factors
- A potential rebellion would be difficult to succeed due to the strength of the Russian military
- Russians are currently distracted by the conflict with Ukraine, providing an opportunity for Ukraine to take gains against Russia.
Collin Clarks Report on Russia and Ukraine: The Need to Hold the Line
- Russia’s aggression in Ukraine worked
- Collin Clark offers the need to hold the line, as Russia is crumbling
- He also suggests moral and material support for Ukraine and NATO countries that have not supported the war up until this point
- Collin Clark has a report coming out on the Wagner Group who are increasingly important to understand.