Amazon Kinesis Outage Impacts Multiple AWS Services
- Amazon’s US East 1 region experienced a severe outage on November 25th which affected a number of AWS-specific services and companies that use those services
- The main issue was with Amazon Kinesis, a proprietary service used for real-time data stream processing
- Amazon Kinesis was experiencing increased API errors, resulting in other services like Amplify, API Gateway, App Stream 2, AppSync, Athena, Cloud Formation, CloudTrail, CloudWatch, Cognito, DynamoDB, IoT Services and others to suffer as well
- The problem was solved by Amazon after they reduced the request throttles on the service.
Amazon Outage Causes Disruption Despite Customer Recovery Expectations
- Amazon kennedy’s experienced an outage at 10 a.m.
- The company moved to a microservices architecture and likely uses containers for scalability
- Amazon expects throttles to return to previous levels over the coming hours
- The exact cause of the issue is unknown, but customers should expect recovery soon
- There are no official reports from Amazon as to what went wrong.