France in Crisis: President Macron Responds to Police Shooting with 40,000 Officer Deployment
- The police shooting of a 17-year-old in France sparked violent protests across the country
- President Macron condemned the unrest and held a crisis meeting with senior ministers, leading to the deployment of 40,000 police officers
- The officer responsible for the shooting was put under formal investigation for voluntary homicide and acknowledged firing a lethal shot
- Rights groups have claimed systemic racism and police violence as causes for the incident
- President Macron called for contemplation and tributes to the victim but denounces any unjustifiable violence against institutions and police stations
- 40,000 police officers were mobilized to combat riots, make arrests, and restore order.