Japans Pragmatic Foreign Policy: From Superiority Complex to Alliance with the US and Support of Ukraine
- The Japanese have historically had a superiority complex and have colonized or conquered many countries in the past
- Japan entered a financial crisis in the 1990s and has had one of the world’s lowest birth rates for decades
- Pragmatism has grown in Japanese foreign policy, culminating in a permanent alliance with the United States under Donald Trump
- This alliance was cemented by a humiliating trade deal which is still enforced today and from which Japan is not attempting to back away
- The G7 Summit is focusing on Ukrainian support, and Japan has decided to contribute significantly to this effort.
Exploring Compromise and Commitment: A Look Into Cultural Perspectives
- The presenter is attempting to find a compromise that does not upset anyone
- The phrase “in for a penny, in for a pound” was used to explain the idea of making an all-or-nothing commitment
- The presenter also referred to the Japanese being “in for a Time”
- This concluded the presentation until the next visit.