Andre Karenkov and Jeremy Discuss AI News on Last Week in AI Podcast
- In this episode of Last Week in AI, Andre Karenkov and Jeremy discuss AI news
- Andre is finishing his PhD at Stanford and working at an AI startup
- Jeremy works for a company called Gladstone AI that he co-founded and has a book about AI safety called Quantum Physics Made Me Do It
- The podcast also includes listener comments, questions and corrections
- They have added a segment at the end to address one question and are selling out with an ad for the No Priors podcast
- Money earned from the podcast is used to subscribe to magazines.
Future of AI in Data Management: Microsoft 365, Informatica and Clear GPT Lead the Way
- Microsoft 365’s AI powered co-pilot is getting more features and paid access
- Informatica goes all in on generative AI with clear GPT which could provide a natural language interface to data management tasks and reduce time spent on key tasks by up to 80%
- Microsoft’s approach for copilot is a branding move that integrates assistant features into Microsoft products
- Clear GPT might be able to design a script and a data Pipeline, but it may not work due to hallucination and lack of governance
- Significant changes in the workforce are likely as data engineer roles are redefined due to automation.
Waymo Bringing Autonomous Cars Closer to Reality with App-Based Service Expansion to San Francisco
- Waymo has launched an app-based autonomous car service in Phoenix and is expanding to San Francisco
- Waymo offers thousands of rides per day in Phoenix, but their San Francisco service is currently limited and requires applicants to waitlist
- Waymo, along with Crews, are the only two companies offering fully autonomous cars for public use in the US
- Waymo needs a final permit from the city of San Francisco in order to offer paid rides
- Self-driving cars are close to becoming reality.
Comparing Open Source and Proprietary Models for AI Development
- Open source models can be used to quickly experiment and iterate, taking advantage of powerful initial models such as GPT4 in order to create custom fine tunings for specific tasks
- Open source models typically cannot provide the same level of performance as the large, proprietary models
- Open source models do not provide a complete solution to scaling problems, as data and processing power are still needed to create the most advanced AI models
- Ultimately, while open source is an important tool, specialized models may be necessary for individual companies and players in industry.
IBM Transitions to Product-Centric Model with Watson X
- IBM is pivoting from an old consulting business model to a product centric one with Watson X, a development studio for companies to train, tune, and deploy machine learning models
- IBM will also pause hiring for jobs that AI could do
- Watson X includes AI generated code, an AI governance toolkit, and library of thousands of large-scale AI models trained on language geospatial data code.
Chegg CEO Assures Investors After Stock Plunge, Shares Rise 8% as AI Takes Over 26,000 Jobs and GDP Grows 7%; Palantir Sees Unprecedented Demand for Military AI Platform
- Chegg CEO, Dan Rosensweg, called the 48 stock plunge over chat GPT fears “extraordinarily overblown”
- As a result, shares rose by 8%
- Approximately 26,000 non-customer facing jobs could be replaced with AI
- GDP could increase by 7% due to efficiency gains from AI
- Palantir is seeing unprecedented demand for its military AI platform which can be used by militaries like Chaturbate
- The US DoD has a culture of test and evaluation with AI systems
- Chegg’s market cap plunged due to student use of chat GPTs and not chegg products
- Shares rose after CEO’s statement.
AI Revolution: Ashish Waswani & Nikki Parmar Lead the Charge with Essential AI and Checkmate Platforms.
- Ashish Waswani and Nikki Parmar, two former Google AI Researchers, are creating Essential AI and received funding from Thrive Capital
- Microsoft is working with AMD to expand their processors
- Chegg is launching a GPT4 powered AI Platform called Checkmate
- Runway, a generative AI startup raised 100 million at a 1.5 billion valuation from a Cloud Service provider
- Google has hired Ashish Waswani and Nikki Parmar as top AI researchers with funding from Thrive Capital.
400 Million Raised for AI and Transformer Technology: Adept AI and Nikki Palmar Lead the Way
- Adept AI and Nikki Palmar have raised over 400 million dollars for transformer technology and AI. Ella Gill is an angel investor in the project
- Adept AI has attained notable recognition with its advances in AI technology, as two of its co-founders have left to start their own companies
- Meta open sourced a multi-sensory AI model that combines six types of data, which reflects the idea that the path towards human-level AI is replicating the structure and behavior of the brain
- MLC released a chatbot that can run on most iPhones and PCs locally, requiring no cloud service provider.
Open Source Development Revolutionized: Meat Lava Achieves State of the Art Accuracy
- Llamas and vicunas are frequently seen in compression models to fit edge devices
- Frameworks created to enable more efficient open source development
- Huggingface and servicenow released a free code generating model with royalty-free license trained on 80 programming languages and documents
- Meat Lava combines Clip encoder and Vicuna to create an instruction tuned, multimodal model achieving state of the art accuracy on science QA.
Exploring AI Misalignment with OpenAIs GPT4 Interpreter
- OpenAI has created an automated system to generate plain English explanations for individual neurons in language models (GPT2)
- This is done by using a GPT4 model as an interpreter and comparing the predicted activity of the neuron with its actual firing patterns
- This system could be useful in understanding AI misalignment, although it may not be scalable with larger language models due to massive compute costs.
The Astonishing Advancements of Artificial Intelligence: From Autonomous Experiments to Mind Reading and More
- AI systems are increasingly capable of interpreting large amounts of data
- OpenAI has developed a model that can audit the safety of larger systems
- AI is also able to “mind read” through FMRIs, providing general understanding of what people are thinking
- Actor AI can autonomously run millions of exciting experiments in microbiology at a rate of 10,000 per day
- Robots with many legs have been developed to traverse difficult terrain quickly
- And Little robots have learned to drive fast in the real world.
US Export Controls Put Squeeze on Chinese AI: Impact on Tech Giants Uncertain
- The US government has put in place export controls on certain chips, including those from Nvidia, to China in order to slow down China’s development of Cutting Edge language models
- These restrictions have been hypothesized to make training twice as expensive in China and have impacted the tech giants
- However, their impact may not be huge due to the large budgets of these companies for model training
- The philosophy is one of degrading but not cutting off at the knees the Chinese AI ecosystem by introducing a safety net through these measures.
China, US Compete as Anthropic Launches Constitutional AI with Unique Principles
- AI is an area of competition among China, the US and others
- Anthropic thinks Constitutional AI is the best way to train models, which involves a self-correcting loop that bakes ethical principles into language models during training rather than post-training
- Anthropic has released their own Constitution for Constitutional AI, which includes things like the UN Declaration of Human Rights, Apple’s terms of service, Deepmind’s Sparrow Principles and more
- Anthropic aims to democratize this process by being transparent about the values baked in
- One amusing principle included is to choose responses least likely to be viewed as harmful or offensive by a non-western audience.
AI Safety, OpenAI & Anthopic Take Steps in Tech World; Image to Data Set Creates Website Issues; Disclosure of AI Generated Content in Political Ads on the Horizon
- AI safety and alignment is of increasing importance in the tech world
- OpenAI and Anthopic are two companies taking steps to iterate on their constitutions, treating them as living documents
- Image to Data Set, a free AI scraping tool, has caused some website owners to face heavy server loads and expenses
- Disclosure of AI generated content in political ads may become necessary with new legislation introduced.
Government Moves Quickly on AI as Writers and Actors Strike, Discord Music Space Grows, Spotify Removes Boomi Songs
- The government is moving quickly in response to events related to AI
- Hollywood writers and actors are striking to seek limits on the use of material produced by AI or similar technologies, such as scripts and outlines
- Discord has created a space for people to create AI music, with over 21000 users
- Spotify has removed thousands of songs created by Boomi, which have been accused of inflating the number of streams on their platform.
AI Art Reaches New Heights with Mid-Journey 5.1
- AI art has been evolving rapidly
- AI generated imagery can sometimes be controversial, particularly in relation to advocacy groups fighting against authoritarian governments
- Mid-Journey 5.1 is a leap forward for AI art, with more opinionated and better quality results
- It remains to be seen whether AI art will reach diminishing returns soon enough due to the marginal cost of scaling up image generation models.
Students Embrace AI: Preparing for the Fast-Changing Tech Wave
- AI is an increasingly popular career choice, and college students should prepare for and adapt to the fast-changing technologies
- There are plenty of options available, however some fields should probably be avoided
- Experimentation with building things using AI tools is important in order to position oneself to ride the wave of technological breakthroughs
- When planning a major, keep an open mind as AI may not be as interesting as anticipated
- It is also beneficial to reserve optionality and focus on developing the ability to learn over memorizing facts.