AI: Investigating the Risk of Extinction and Steps to Mitigate It
- AI has the potential to bring great improvements to the world, such as better education and medical care
- However, there is a small risk that it could lead to extinction if not managed properly. Brad believes that developing safety systems and cooperating with other world leaders are essential for mitigating this risk
- He also stresses the importance of being aware of exponential curves and their effects when using powerful technology.
OpenAI and Microsoft: A Relationship of Regulation and Concerns
- OpenAI has been advocating for global regulation of AI technology, while trying to keep regulations light on small startups and open-source projects
- Elon Musk has expressed concerns with the direction OpenAI is taking, citing worries about Microsoft’s control over the organisation
- OpenAI’s relationship with Microsoft is strong and healthy, despite any challenges that may arise.
OpenAI Transcending Profit Motive to Reduce Implicit Bias in AI Technology
- OpenAI is making progress on reducing implicit bias in AI technology
- The company has a nonprofit board and none of the members have equity in the company
- There are no financial incentives in place for OpenAI’s founders if the company becomes profitable
- The founders already have “enough money”
- What they want more of is an interesting life impact.
Exploring Technology Through the Eyes of Sam: Investing in AI to Advance Humanity
- Sam is passionate about technology and its potential for progress
- He believes that people should use technology to make a contribution to humanity’s technological advancement
- Sam is thankful for those who have invested their work into technology before him, even though they may not receive recognition
- Sam recognizes the power of AI and that it could potentially be the first step in a continuous and exponential revolution of technology
- Sam wants to collaborate with China and other countries on AI.
OpenAI Governance: Examining the Need for a New Structure
- Sam is suggesting that OpenAI should not be trusted until a new structure is implemented to make it governed by the whole of humanity
- He outlines multiple ways this could be done, such as board control and alignment of goals
- He also advises against trusting one person or company with this powerful technology.